NRA Explore | FAQs

Explore The NRA Universe Of Websites

Frequently Asked Questions

Local And State Participants

What is the difference between Local and State YHEC?

Local and State YHEC events are open to anyone 18 years of age and under. Some local YHEC events do not require participants to complete a Hunter Education course as a prerequisite, however, all state events do. 

How do I find out if there is a YHEC event in my state?

Visit the Local and State Events Page for a list of all upcoming events, or contact your State Coordinator for more information. If your state does not have an upcoming event or State Coordinator, contact us at (800) 492-4868 opt. 3 or


I can't find a YHEC event near me - what do I do?

If there is no YHEC near you, you can email or call (800) 492-4868 option 3 for more information. The NRA is always looking to recruit new clubs and ranges to host their own YHEC event. You can also attend a local or state event in a neighboring state if the event organizer allows it. 


What can I expect at YHEC event?

YHEC events are conducted in a variety of locations - from farm fields to large gun clubs. It is up to the event organizers, and also dependent on the limitations of the event facility, as to what activities you can expect. The only requirement is all events must have at least one shooting and one responsibility event. 

There are eight official YHEC events that can be conducted at the local and state level. The shooting events are .22 Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloader and Archery. The responsibility events are Wildlife Identification, Hunter Responsibility Exam, Hunter Safety Trail and Orienteering.

Can I bring my own equipment?

It is at the discretion of the event organizer whether to allow equipment to be brought or whether they will supply the equipment.  

Can parents participate in YHEC activities?

In most cases, parents do not participate in YHEC activities but are encouraged to support the local and state events as a spectator or volunteer. 

Why should I participate in a YHEC event?

NRA’s Youth Hunter Education Challenge (YHEC) provides a fun and practical environment for kids to develop and improve their hunting, marksmanship and safety skills. Through its simulated hunting situations, live fire exercises and responsibility events, YHEC builds upon skills learned in basic hunter education courses and encourages safer, lifelong hunting habits.

How much does a YHEC event cost?

YHEC event prices differ depending on the host. Please contact your local or state event for costs.

How old do I have to be to participate in YHEC?

To participate in a YHEC event, you must be 18 years of age or under. If a Hunter Education course is required, you must follow your state's age requirements.

National Championship Participants

What is the difference between National YHEC and Local/State YHEC?

In order to participate in a National YHEC, you must have participated in a Local and/or State YHEC. National YHEC takes place once a year, and puts you up against some of your best fellow youth hunters.

How do I participate in National YHEC?

To participate in National YHEC, you must: 

  • Participate in a local and/or state YHEC
  • Be 18 years or younger at time of participation in your local and/or state YHEC. Individuals who reach 19 years of age after participating in their local/state level YHEC may participate at the National level YHEC if their event is conducted in the same calendar year
  • Submit a National YHEC participant application

Can I bring my own equipment?

As a participant we encourage you to bring your own equipment to use for the events at NYHEC! 

Who can participate in National YHEC?

Participants for NYHEC are 18 years of age or below. To participate in NYHEC, completion of a YHEC event at the state level (or local if a state event isnt offered) must be completed. 

How much does it cost to participate?

Visit the National Youth Hunter Education Event Details page for participation costs. 


What are the roles and responsibilities of a NYHEC Volunteer?

Volunteers assist with the set up, completion, and tear down of one or more of the events for NYHEC. Volunteers assist with sign in for the specific event, make sure scores are added correctly and submitted to the stat office, and make sure safety is the number one priority is all event execution. 

Do I get paid for volunteering?

Volunteers do NOT get paid. 

Do I get reimbursed for travel, lodging and meals?

The NRA does not cover travel for volunteers, however, lodging and meals are covered.

How do I become a volunteer?

To become a volunteer for the National Youth Hunter Education Challenge, please complete the application on the Volunteer Page

How much time do I have to dedicate to volunteering for National YHEC?

A volunteer for NYHEC is expected to be able to work from 8-5 for six consecutive days, or the days of the event taking place. July 24-29.

Host An Event

Who can host a YHEC event?

Any club, group, organization or individual that has access to a location that can safely host shooting events, resources to recruit volunteers and participants, and a passion for promoting youth involvement in the hunting and shooting sports can host an event. Download the YHEC Guidebook for a complete guide on starting your own YHEC. 

What type of materials/equipment do I need?

A complete list of basic equipment requirements can be found on page 12 of the How to Conduct a YHEC Guidebook, available for download here.

How much does it cost to host a YHEC event?

The NRA does not charge a fee for hosting a YHEC event. Event organizers have the option to charge participants a registration fee. Funding sources are available from the NRA in the form of grants. More information can be found here

Should I purchase insurance?

Per request, the NRA will provide insurance for the day of the YHEC event at no charge. Insurance DOES NOT cover practices or any other activities that occur outside the official YHEC event dates. 

How do I advertise my YHEC event?

It is the responsibility of the event organizers to promote your YHEC event. Some suggested promotional outlets include: local sporting goods stores, local papers, Hunter Education Classes, shooting and range clubs, community bulletin boards and social media. 

Once your event has been registered with the NRA, it will be listed under the Local and State Events Page.

Do I have to complete the post-event report?

Yes. We require all hosts to submit a post-event report. You can complete the post-event report here

Want To Know More 

For more information about YHEC, contact Youth Hunter Education at (800) 492-4868 opt. 3 or